Introduction to a Future Physician

 Hey everyone! My name is Adam Khan and I am a senior psychology (premed) student graduating this December 2020. My plan post undergrad is to attend medical school and begin my journey to become a practicing physician. Some of my hobbies include snowboarding, reading detective fiction, and powerlifting. I decided to take this class over other electives because the topic of storytelling is one that fascinates me quite a bit. As one of the oldest forms of communication, storytelling shares experiences and perspectives that one may not otherwise get to hear. Storytelling has very interesting roots in the south asian region and I am excited to read more about how the Indian culture and subcontinent expresses stories of figures important to them. Being a premed student, my reading as of late had been limited to extensive scientific papers that aren't super exciting so this class will definitely be a breath of fresh air and I am really looking forward to it as well as reading the work of my classmates! 

    As I enter my last semester of college, I have been reflecting on my time as a student and am grateful that I have taken classes such as this one that require a deeper level of thinking and don't rely just on memorizing material for an exam and forgetting it after. Class such as this paired with the scientific classes I have taken have really kept me sane through college and have reminded me that to get the most out of education, you need to challenge yourself and take courses that you may not be used to. I am very glad that this University offers courses such as these that challenge us (students) to think beyond just completing assignments to get a grade. This semester is quite unique in that it is primarily web-based learning and this is definitely not how I wanted to end my time here at OU but protecting our communities most definitely takes priority and I hope everyone in this class continues to stay safe!



                                            (me doing one of my favorite hobbies, powerlifting!)


Comments

  1. Yay for powerlifting, Adam! Some of the epic heroes are serious strong-men (especially Bhima in the Mahabharata), but here's something cool: there's a great legend about the heroine of the Ramayana, Sita, who as a little girl was able to lift the great bow of Shiva that full-grown men could not lift! That folktale is not in all the versions of the epic but you can find it here if you are curious: Sita, powerlifter! Seeta lifts the Shiva Dhanush - link (there are English subtitles). The number of stories... and variations of stories... is infinite, so I hope you will find lots of stories to intrigue you, and I'm sure that you can put storytelling skills to good use in your future medical career too. Stories are such a huge part of how people both listen and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam!

    I also really enjoy detective fiction. What are some of your favorite novels in that genre?

    I agree with you, too, about your preference for classes that rely more on deeper thinking rather than memorization. It's one of the reasons that I became an English major so that I could exercise greater creative license.

    Finally, how much can you lift cause that's awesome!

    Have a great day Adam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Adam!

    Your hobbies are so interesting and diverse! I also love to read, but I mainly stick to fantasy books like Game of Thrones and the Witcher Series. I have always been in awe of people who powerlift as it takes complete mind and body focus. I too was interested in this course because it gives us the ability to learn about South Asian epics in a lot of detail and makes us analyze it in depth.

    Have a great semester, I'm interested in reading your future blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Adam! Wow, I am impressed! Also, I agree completely. Classes like these help to keep me sane too! Last semester I took Biochemistry, and it was my music class that helped me get through the roughest parts of that class. From the lectures I didn’t understand to the exams that seemed way to difficult for an intro to biochem class, creative classes had my back. Your hobbies are quite diverse too! I’ve heard of people powerlifting before, but I have never actually seen it! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Adam,

    It is a whole journey getting prepared to go to medical school and I wish you nothing but the best, I hope you get into the medical school of your dreams! I also agree on how easier-going and fun classes like these can really take some stress off our backs as pre-medical students are always piled on with mountains of information and exams. Your hobbies sound interesting, I also enjoy snowboarding. I have no worked out in years but definitely need to get back in the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Adam!

    I am also a senior pre-med student. Your introduction was very interesting. Snowboarding sounds like a great time! I've never snowboarded but it is something that I would like to try soon. I strongly agree that this class is different from a typical formatted science course. It's fun to take a minute and focus on something completely different. The image of you powerlifting is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Adam, I am also graduating in December and am happy to be done so soon. Psychology has always interested me especially criminal psychology. What kind of job/career are you looking to get into after med school? I also took this to have a different class compared to my major specific (MIS) classes. I look forward to reading the stories of other students as well. Best of luck in med school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Adam!
    I am also a senior pre-med student, so I understand what the application process is like right now. I wish you the best of luck through all of it!
    I looooove powerlifting movements too! I have never competed in it, honestly because it doesn't necessarily match my aesthetic workout goals as a girl, but I love the workouts and the feeling of being so strong and powerful! I always incorporate at least 2-3 powerlifting moves into my workouts each week, so I still keep up with it. Have you ever competed before? And do you lift in Sarkey's?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Adam, I wish you best of luck as you graduate in December and go off to medical school! I am also a pre-med major and I can only imagine all of the hard work you have put in towards med school, so kudos to you for reaching this new milestone in your career. I also felt like this class would be a refreshing change from the usual things that pre-meds have to read for classes. I look forward to reading your work this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Adam,
    I liked reading your introduction. I wish I was graduating in December but I wish you the best of luck with everything you do after graduating. I love going to the gym but I'm not a big power lifter like you, I'm sure it's super fun and had tons of benefits for sure. Good luck with medical school, I'm sure you will do amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Adam,
    I liked reading your introduction and getting to know you a bit more! That is awesome that you are graduating in December as I am graduating in May with a degree in Microbiology. I wish you all the best of luck in moving forward in your life and if I can tell anything from your introduction, it is that you are a fun and motivated individual who will stop at nothing for his success!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts