Thoughts on the Growth Mindset

 A few years ago before I started college I read the book "Mindset," by Carol Dweck and this book helped me tremendously during my undergraduate education. I am a firm believer in keeping a growth mindset when dealing with issues and believing that there is room for growth and learning while not looking at issues as "fixed". One example of me using a growth mindset in college is when I was taking physics 2. My first exam did not go as well a is would have wanted and I could have settled into a fixed mindset that led me to believe I would not do well on the other exams and I should just settle for a lower grade in the course. Since exams were such an integral part of this class I saw many of my friends go down this path after not scoring well on the first exam. I believed that if I worked harder than ever before to do well on the other 2 exams I would set myself up with a fighting chance come final exam time. Ultimately, this growth mindset payed off and I am grateful for learning about the growth mindset before entering university. The growth mindset can be applied not only with personal issues but also with judging/critiquing others. When someone messes up and disappoints you, I truly believe we should also apply a growth mindset with these individuals and not let their faults define them for you. 


                            Psychology Success Personal - Free image on Pixabay 

                                            (Visualization of a growth mindset, pixabay)

Comments

Popular Posts